Thursday, May 8, 2008

I heart buses

Julia and I are in sitting in a bus station in Santa Elena, waitiing for a shuttle bus to take us Tikal. I'd say we're boith pretty wiped out right now. We rode a night bus for 9 hours from Guatemala City to here, but only after taking another shuttle bus to get from Antigua to Guatemala City.

That ride was awesome. The driver wanted to get gas before we left Antigua, but there was apparently a run on gas yesterday; there was a line of cars and motorcycles for about 2 blocks in two different directions. The bus driver didn't want to wait (thankfully) and then pulled half of the mini-bus on to the curb and drove half a block like that to get out of line. The rest of the ride was similar to that. We couldn't get gas anywhere. Any gas station that had gas also had a line of cars for 1/4 mile. There were a number of gas stations that just simply ran of of gas. We weren't sure what the reason was, but thought maybe a spike in prices is coming soon? We haven't been keeping up with the news as closely lately.

The ride from Guatemala City to Antigua isn't very fun. :) I'm also too exhausted to write much about it. w
We'll write more later after we nap for a little.

-- Marcus

No comments: